Old 06-07-08, 03:29 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYcrash
Edit: wait, wait, wait...how can your crank be cottered and one-piece at the same time??? The cotters are used to keep a three-piece crank together.
Yes, sorry for the confusion. This is not a one piece crank. I was thinking the adapter piece from Harris Cyclery might serve the same purpose in my BB, but that was before I noticed that it was not remotely the same size as a OPC Bottom Bracket.

Now I'm trying to evaluate my other options. The bottom bracket shell seems to be about 40 mm diameter, 68 mm wide. The width is easy to deal with as it's pretty standard, but diameter seems to be non-standard. But I really don't know, because when looking at the one hundred and one measurements associated with bottom brackets, I can't seem to see one for Bottom Bracket Shell Diameter.

I'm assuming that if I really spent some time pounding on those cups, they'd come out. But I'm not going to do that if I don't know that they can be replaced with something else. I'd love to replace the cottered cranks, and the whole BB assembly for that matter, but either I have a very non-standard size, or else I'm just not doing a very good job of figuring out all the vocabulary and sizing issues. Maybe there's some Remedial Bottom Bracket class I can enroll in.