View Single Post
Old 06-08-08, 10:30 AM
slide13

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, 30-60 minutes. I spent 9 years working in bike shops, 4 of those as a wrench, and there is no way I could do that properly in that amount of time. I have a feeling your concept of the job and the shops were very different. To me, swapping parts to a new frame involves taking parts off, cleaning them, prepping frame (facing, chasing, etc) installing parts with new cables as needed and re-adjusting everything. Also should include taking measurements of original bike (saddle height, bar height, reach, etc) and then transferring those to the new bike if the same fit is desired. That is not a 60 minute job.

It's cool that you learned to do the work yourself though, good for you on that part. I think it's great for enthusiasts, who are so inclined, to learn to work on their own stuff. Buy books, ask questions here, it's all good....just don't go into the shop and ask them to teach you how to do some adjustment. I used to hate when people felt it was my job to teach them to work on their own bike. Sorry, not my job unless you're paying the hourly shop rate for my advice. I would never think of going to an auto mechanic and asking them how I should go about giving my car a tune up. Sorry...rant over now.