Old 10-21-04, 09:02 AM
Shannon-UT

Bikes: 2003 Diamondback Apex; 1998 Gary Fisher Kaitai (commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I finally did it (rode in the rain)!

I know alot of you already ride in the rain, no big deal but I just wanted to tell someone. Day #2 in the rain. I was not looking forward to it actually, but I just Gortexed up and made myself go. Quite a bit more production getting ready for the ride.

It was about 40-45 degrees I think. I wore my hiking boots (brought my clogs with me), fleece head band, gortex pants and shell and my new gortex mittens. I also wore a fleece vest underneath the shell and that turned out to very hot. I couldn't wait to peel it off when I got to work. I use REI bike panniers too. I left the slicks on too.

A few things I think I would like to get/modify:
1) fenders - even though I have a bike rack on the back and full on Gortex, water still splashes above my head when I go through pedals
2) some of that waterproofing washable stuff - you can wash your pants and shell and it brings the waterproofing it originally had back to life. I actually want to waterproof some BellWeather bike pants because my shell pants are too short for bike riding.
3) better lights.

All in all, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was actually warm (too warm) and dry. My face and glasses did get kind of wet and the top of my head too from the helmet vents.

That's all, just wanted to share. I kind of feel good. And any advice you want to offer.

Here's a pic of the lovely day we're having: