Thread: Dog issue
View Single Post
Old 06-09-08, 11:32 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by phinney
Even friendly dogs that are just chasers are a threat to cause a traffic accident. Any dog that chases me gets reported and the owner gets a talking to. If any dog gets too close I'm perpared to and will kill it on the spot.
I'm following your logic until they get too close -- they don't even need to act hostile to get the death sentence? Just out of curiosity, what do you do about threatening motorists? They cause far more serious injuries and fatalities than dogs.

Whenever I see threads like this, I wonder why some people ride. I think cycling is a great activity, but you really need to be able to manage risks and work with the conditions you will encounter.

Cycling like walking on a roof -- those who are calm and confident do fine while the ones that are scared are almost guaranteed to have trouble. When people start cycling and ask me for advice, I always recommend they learn to deal with traffic and other conditions before riding in certain places.

It really is worth understanding the best ways to deal with certain risks. For example, newbie cyclists often ride the wrong way down streets because they think it is safer. Interestingly enough, I have never met an experienced cyclist who believes this. All the same, I get the occasional lecture from a novice or nonrider who is positive they are right and who thinks they can make me safer.

Anyone who knows anything about dogs will tell you that you drastically increase your chances of having problems when you prepare aggressive measures of the sort some here advocate for as soon as you see a dog.