View Single Post
Old 06-09-08, 06:13 PM
wooljersey

Bikes: Dean Titanium with S&S couplers, Spcialized Stumpjumper M2, Bridgestone RB-1 with S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 5 Posts
Clyde Slide Uber-Sized

Ouch. This week I drove to Overland Park, Kansas for a business trip. Since I was driving, I took my road bike with me. I had read that there was an extensive network of trails in the area and I could reach it only a few blocks from my hotel.

So tonight after work, I changed and ventured out to the trail. The trail has a blacktop surface and follows a small stream. I was rolling along nicely until I reached a bridge, the trail took a sharp turn then went under the bridge. The problem is that the area has had quite a bit of rain recently. The trail had been under water for a time and at the bottom of the turn the trail was covered with about 1/4-1/2 inch of mud.

I hit the mud while cornering and I did the Uber-Sized Clyde Slide. I was more embarrassed than hurt so I rode on for another few miles. I decided that discretion was the better part of valor so I rode back on the road. I got a few stares when I walked into the hotel with my muddy bibs, jersey and bike.

The weather looks good for the next two days, so I am going to ride again. This time, I think I'll stay on the road.