Old 06-10-08, 01:56 AM
KRhea

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinman
I did it last year (4:45) and it is a great ride - but it was not "hot" at the base nor will it be this year - plan on cold in am and windy. Lots of layers and bring fingered gloves - all the warmth if the sum breaks will happen on the descent and then you are going so fast it feels cold.

11 days out from the ride, how do you know it won't be hot this year**********? The way our weather has been in Portland this spring there's a great likelyhood it could be hot this year. Folks said it was gonna be cool and maybe even damp a few weeks ago for Reach the Beach and it ended up being 100 degrees the day before and 97 on the day of the ride. Hardly cool and damp. Tonight'd weather report says it'll be hitting 80 by this coming Friday.

I'd say, watch the weather the night before, bring a vest or jacket you can carry in your jersey pocket for the fast downhills and you should have all the weather info you need but please, don't make your plans based on weather info 11 days prior to any ride.

I've ridden Tour 'de Blast many times and in all kinds of weather, cold and rainy, 100 degrees and everything in between. Each time I watched the weather report starting Thursday, then Friday and then Saturday morning I packed my bag with "extras" for the just in case kind of last minute weather change and each time, except for the hot year I was well prepared.

Good luck and enjoy the ride, it's a special place up on that ridge when you're rounding the corner on a bike and looking at the crater.

KRhea