Old 06-10-08, 11:56 AM
esaunders
aka Erica the Hon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*grumble* Frickin' hills *grumble* skinny bf

There's been continuing improvement on the quest to commute by cycling. I'm up to 8km without being dead the next day. I've got Aaron's (the bf) bike adjusted more appropriately for him, which mostly consists of sneaking the seat higher on him. We've got a system now to head out together: I hit the road, he hits the sidewalk and we head for the bike paths paralleling each other along the way. (yeah yeah, I know what you all say about the sidewalks but he's REALLY not ready for the road)
Last night's trip was even his suggestion instead of mine which is AWESOME!

So we go the farthest yet last night and I realize that there is a long slow grade to the bike path right at my midway point of the commute route. It'll be great on the way to work (whee) but it SUCKS on the way back. Its the longest uphill stretch I've tried by far at this point and I've attempted it on my longest ride. Long version shortened, I'm pedalling my butt off working my way up the hill shifting gears all the way and playing tug o' war with gravity while Aaron zips past me without changing gears once. Granted, I don't think he's really figured out the gears yet, but still ...

He does have a few advantages on me (a foot taller, prob 70lbs lighter and 700 wheels vs my 26ers) but mildly irritating. Must think positive, its not a competition. 3 to 8 km in a month isn't bad and I'm seriously considering starting 1 way commuting tomorrow...