Thread: 50 Mile Day!
View Single Post
Old 06-11-08, 05:39 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Fribley
Well i just got home from my first 50 mile day!! Previously I have gone as far as 25, but today I just set out with a goal of 50. Whew that was a long way (for me at least I am pretty new to this cycling thing (little over two weeks now)). I learned alot from this trip:

1 Hybrids weren't meant to do that long of a ride, way too much weight is put on the seat from the upright position. They are relatively slow compared to road bikes, and my shock steals alot of my power which really isnt that noticeable on shorter rides. But thats all I own at the moment so I guess it will have to work for now.

2 Dogs = bad. I have never been chased previously before this ride so I figured it wasnt really that bad of a thing. About 32 miles into the ride as I am riding uphill into a headwind a large black growling dog flys out of the woods/yard of someones house and runs me for about a quater mile. I am giving it absolutly everything I got and I am just barely keeping him off my rear wheel, at one point he was racing right next to me. Thats just a very bad feeling when you arent fimailer with the dog.

3 My cycling shorts need to arrive in the mail soon. Very soon.

4 Gloves = Good. I need to invest in a pair, as well as some kind of foot retention system.

5 Wind. Never had much of a problem with the wind, guess I have just been fortunate the last couple weeks. About 20 or so miles in i was moving surprisingly faster then I had expected, figured the path was a little smoother then I was used to for less rolling resistance. Most of you probably know it wasnt the path by now. And you probably know why I wasnt able to get away from aformentioned dog on the return trip.

6 267 Lbs is alot of weight for 50 miles. But thats only going to get better as I keep it up.

7 12 miles seems like a pretty good goal for tomorrow, but Maybe a metric century by next weekend? We'll see.

Well thats my story. Thanks for reading.
Well done. However, I disagree with the comment about hybrids. I've ridden metrics and a century on mine with no problems.