Old 06-14-08, 02:29 AM
pentagraham
Lurking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friction and Indexed to Integrated Shifting

I know this general subject has been discussed before at great lengths here, however I can’t come up with a definitive answer for my particular question. Please forgive me if this has been specifically answered somewhere and point me to it.

I have an older double / 8 speed Shimano 105 bike with downtube shifters. The FD is friction and the RD is indexed. I want to switch to an integrated setup. I’m relatively confused about all the different things I’ve read over the past hour on here, but I think the general consensus is that since my RD is indexed, any Shimano 8 speed brifter will work – whether it’s a DA, Ultegra, or Sora. The million dollar question is, will a brifter be compatible with my friction FD? My guess is that in some gear combinations, the chain will rub. I don’t mind spending the money for DA or Ultegra if they are going to outlast the Sora stuff. Opinions on durability between DA / Ultegra / Sora / Others?

Also, if the chain rub is severe, has anyone here run a mixed setup? Since I rarely shift out of the big chainring, I’m thinking of using an integrated shifter on the right and my current 105 brake lever and downtube tab on the left. That way, I can trim the FD as usual but not sacrifice control and safety by taking my hand off the bar every time I want to shift in back. Are there any pictures out there of what a downtube shifter next to a cable stop looks like?