Old 06-15-08, 10:29 AM
ruiner
ruins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewCO
Yeah, but who would shoot someone (that is a member here) for throwing a bag of trash at them. *thinks, "OVERKILL"*
Perhaps it is overkill. Which is why instead of actually carrying the concealed weapon, you should make it appear that you are carrying. For instance on your vest you could possibly iron on some lettering saying "I carry." While it might incite others I think for a majority of people it would make them think twice. I know I would hesitate, but then again I'm a nice person anyway.

Also, I don't believe it's overkill since the goal is to seriously injure someone for amusement... and these injuries can be life-altering, permanent and fatal.

Originally Posted by Crankaddict
I had a 20 oz plastic mountain dew bottle filled with tobacco spit thrown at me. The car was going 55 MPH I was going 15. It hit dead center on the back of my left calf. The impact tore my soleus muscle. When I got off the bike I could not put any weight on my leg. thank god I was wearing winter weight compression tights or who knows what damage would have been done. I was on crutches for 2 weeks, and 3 years later I still have a scar from the impact on the back of my leg.

When I was able to go to the police station later that week I reported it (I was riding 40 miles from home) I was not the first report of attacks on cyclists on that stretch of highway so the police were actively seeking the culprits; I just added fuel to the fire. They finally caught them about a month later. They threw a baseball bat into the spokes of a rider causing him to get seriously hurt. The car behind witnessed it, called the cops and followed them until the police intercepted them. 16 and 17 year olds.

At that speed a direct impact could easily shatter bone provided the bottle doesn't break first, so you're pretty lucky. I imagine the kids were out to have "fun." I wonder if they also consider torturing animals fun, or if they find cyclists lower on the totem pole than even a dog. Sad, really. Any idea what happened to them?