Old 06-15-08, 09:54 PM
Cyclist30907654
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thebluesbox
I dont have a local bike shop, I can go out of town to get to one that more than likely only sells cheap bikes anyway,

but besides that this mongoose not being an off road bike is your opinion only, Its a mountain bike not a road bike, it has shimano gear set, rapid fire shifters, dual disk brakes the front and rear suspension that work great, I dont recall any road rider having all of that, just because I dont have 2000.00 to waist on a bike doesnt mean I cant try to enjoy it with what I can afford and I dont need some ****er at a bike shop to convence me I need to take out a loan to buy a trail bike.

And you know what, I have been using this mongoose on the trails I have been jumping and pushing it pretty hard with no problems and its been doing a great job thus far, so I really have just made up my mind that I will stay with this one and see how well it gives me good service. In the end I hope it prooves wrong the opinions that one has to buy a bike that can cover the cost of a used car in order to have a decent riding mtb.

Thanks for the help, im excited about keeping my "TOYS R US" road bike !!! Couldnt have come to that decision with out this forums help :-)
Look, many of the folks here (myself included) have had a department store quality of bike at one time. Sure, when I had mine, I had fun. I beat the living daylights out of it, and broke many components in the process. I think you'll find that as you progress, you'll have to replace more and more of the bike as the parts break, resulting in an overall greater cost as opposed to simply buying a $500 entry level bike to begin with.

I'll commend you for getting out there and riding. I had tons of fun with my department store bike, and it's what got me into mountain biking.

But the greatest concern is safety. I hope you wear a helmet, and at the very least, have a mechanically inclined person tighten the bolts and make sure the bike was assembled properly.