Old 06-16-08, 12:40 PM
thismember
born-again cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kotts
What it comes down to is that you'll spend less time fiddling with it by recabling than you would by trying to use adapters.

Think about it this way:
You have to buy a section of cable housing in order to do the extension. To put the adapter/extension in in you have to pull the cable out of the housing. If you're adding more than an inch, there's a good chance that the cable won't be long enough to reach when it's inserted into the lengthened housing. Of course the cable clamp may have mangled the cable enough that it won't thread through the housing anyway...

Been there, done that. It's just a lot simpler to recable.

BTW: If you want to take a useful shortcut, get a threadless stem extender, rather than replacing the front fork.

Thanks. I would have had to replace the cables for sure and at this point, it looks like recabling is the only option. I have a couple of the inline adjusters from a previous build so I will use them since my wife's Bianchi does not have downtube adjusters.

Regarding the stem extender...been there done that on a friend's bike. It was an option I considered but my wife hates the way it looks - yeah, I was surprised she actually cared about that.