Old 06-20-08, 05:37 AM
shundaroni
Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
50 miles, and you didn't call? Your fault. No if's, and's or but's.
You agreed to wait for it to come in, and now that you found something else you want more, you're going to use that as an excuse to bail on the purchase? You should have stopped shopping around once you ordered it. The LBS will be a little upset if he has to refund your money unless it's a common size and he figures he can sell it easily, then he'll be happy he won't have to deal with you on anything else.
I suppose I have a different expectation of business. If I'm told "We'll call you if there are any problems" and I don't receive a call when there is, in fact, a problem, that's a bit of a peeve.

I actually agreed to the terms presented to me...I specifically ASKED how long I'd need to wait, and was told very boldly "It'll be done by 4 on Thursday." Why did I ask? Because I had already found the Cannondale (about 5 days prior) and made that clear to the LBS owner (I don't shop around after I make a purchase). Basically the guy made a promise to make the sale that he couldn't guarantee. And I agreed to the terms including the promise.

I can wait. I wasn't privy to the workings of bicycle ordering. I took the word of two individuals in the business and left it at that. I've been in sales, and I know the tendency to overstate in order to sell the product. But I was always smart enough to drop in a caveat--"We SHOULD have it in by Thursday," or "We'll try to have it in before the end of the week."

So far, I haven't been anything but nice to the LBS, though...let me make that clear. When they told me is was late yesterday, I didn't object. I said, "I understand. Don't worry about it. When can I actually expect it?" I really do like the people there and I'm not the kind of customer who keeps buzzing in the ear of the retailer. Of course, this time they said, "Tomorrow, without a doubt." That's why I started this thread. I can forgive one exaggeration to sell. Two is pushing it, though.

I did think about trying to grab an accessory or two for reimbursement, but we'll see. I know that I'm totally coming across as the unrealistic ******* in this thread, but I truly exercise far more tact during my interactions with people than I'm inclined to discuss in a forum thread about what I should do.

I appreciate the input from everyone, though. It's somewhat reassuring that many of you have dealt with long wait times for your bikes from dealers.