View Single Post
Old 06-20-08, 03:11 PM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRCF
1. I never thought that a wider seat would have that effect - but what if I raise the handlebars several inches?
2. Are you riding a road bike in regular clothes (just want to make sure since you also mention a hybrid).
3. I may have to go back to the original seat just to see if the problem goes away and if it does, start over to see if there is a saddle I can ride with regular shorts. One issue with that is if I'm still leaning over, any regular shorts bunch up.
1. I included image of original hybrid seat, and new Brooks, (Imperial version for test, not on market). Handle bars are higher, but yet lean into the bars, so included bike image to get perspective of the relationship.
2. I did ride road bike with shorts, (20 years ago) not bike, and learn about seat rash, ghost saddle effect, the hard way. Returning to a old road bike, with Brooks style seat, is smooth finish, and cut the same, but finding I need to raise the handle bars higher for ride comfort, for more of a touring type style. This maybe option for you to consider. I got idea from review of the Surly Long Haul Trucker design, with seat and top bars at same level. Some hybrids also follow this concept, so same or higher may provide you some relief.
3. Depends on design of the original seat, also check out MTB type seats. But my thoughts are the narrower, deeper nose will provide more comfort than a wider, short nose saddle.

I am also a 2XL type guy, 6'4" and 275# presently. Seat height is the most critical adjustment, and then seat to bars, my second setup concern. The hybrid is most comfortable for my riding presently, but for more distance I am refreshing my 80 steel Schwinn Continental, as its gearing allows for good speed on flats and, and with my bulk, added bike weight on climb (36#s) is non issue. I may add a Brooks B17 to this rider, or invest in bibs for longer rides.

All the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1270dwnld.jpg (51.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP1277 smlr dwnld.jpg (99.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by bab2000; 06-20-08 at 09:23 PM.