Old 06-22-08, 07:07 PM
natbla

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
July 5th Century Ride - should I go for the full 100 or settle for the 1/2 century?

I'm looking for some advice as its time to make the decision now that I'm 2 weeks out and definitely under done in training. THis ride is my first century ride that is on my goals for the year. So should I go for the half century, using the logical 2X my normal ride formula, or just try and tough out the 100 miles even though the longest ride I've done in the last month is only 36 miles long?

The Century ride is the Mt. Davis Century here is a short description:

'The LHORBA Mt. Davis Century and Half Century is a fully supported ride that winds through the country roads of Somerset County. Starting south of Johnstown, the century passes near Jennerstown, through Somerset, Garret and Meyersdale before the Mt. Davis summit, and returns through Rockwood, Somerset, and Jenners. The half century follows the same route as the century simply starting and ending in Somerset. Both rides are somewhat hilly and both rides will reach their halfway points at the summit of Mt. Davis. Total climbing is just under 10,000’ for the century ride and about 5,500’ for the half century (calculated by TopoUSA)."

So I do roughly 2000 feet of climbing each day of commuting (over 16 miles of the total distance) 3-4 days a week. I didn't ride this weekend but last weekend did a 29 mile ride with 3500 feet of climbing. I can schedule a ride next weekend that is 40 miles with 9,000 feet of climbing or a 54 mile one with 6500 feet. But other than that I'll ride 4 days of 16 miles each way this week, and 3 days the week of ride.

So logically I figure I should be scaling back my goal but was wondering if any one has just "done it" on this kind of hard century without the "right" lead up, and how did it go?

So what do you all think, should I HTFU and just do the 100 miles and 10K of climbing or fess up on my training levels and give the 1/2 century a go?