View Single Post
Old 06-23-08, 09:28 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti
Could you talk a little about how you modded the suspension system, particularly where the chainstays connect to the frame via plastic "brackets"? I've seen the extensive work Jur has done but was wondering if you've done anything differently.
Yes, good point. The suspension consists of two things: a hinge, just behind the BB; and the spring/compression system, between the seat and seat stays. To the latter, I did more or less the same thing as Jur did; I did not glue the two pieces of rubber to one another. I had some trouble with the former as well; the bolt that holds it all together tends to bottom out, and even with it tightened all the way, I was still getting some side-to-side play. But I don't remember what I did to change this; if memory serves, I ground part of the bolt down, so it wouldn't bottom out, and I put some kind of flexible plastic washer in there. I honestly don't remember, but inspection of the bike suggests it's blue in color! At any rate, when I tightened the bolt back up, I compressed the $%^ out of my plastic washer. The result is that there is no side-to-side play, and very little up-and-down movement, which is severely restricted by the rubber cushion anyway. Make sense?