Old 06-26-08, 02:16 AM
Paraphen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not in the spokes per se, but a couple of weeks ago I was picking up a couple of sodas from the Walgreens a few blocks from my house at the behest of a lazy roommate who'd rather wait the hour it takes me to ride home from work than walk to get them himself. Anyways, I didn't have a way to carry them short of trying to bungee four bottles of soda onto a rack with only two cords, so I figured "what the hell, I used to bike home from the store with bags of stuff when I was a kid, shouldn't be a big deal.

Well I forgot that the bars on my mountain bike as a kid are wayyyy wider than the drops on my bike now, and sure enough, about halfway through the first crank revolution to get me going the front wheel stops dead and sodas roll out onto the ground. At first I figured I'd just caught the bag in the spokes, but I realized that there were three bottles on the ground, and one wedged somehow between the fork and the spokes of the wheel, stuck so hard I couldn't get it out without draining the bottle to collapse it some. Well, I was awfully thirsty, so I ended up shouldering the bike back home and having the roommate help me tilt the bike so I could pour my delicious ruby red squirt into a glass before removing it.

I did run over a squirrel a while back on the bike path at night, but he was nice enough to die on the ground and not get caught in the spokes.