Old 06-26-08, 03:55 AM
filtersweep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nearly 100% of commuters around here wear cycling-specific clothing. The weather can be a bit extreme, so it is generally needed. Also, we have showers at our office, so almost everyone changes clothes here at work.

But can you explain your first point- that "spandex wearing cyclists make other people think they have to wear spandex too?" How can anyone "make" you feel a certain way.

BTW, when I lived in the US, if I ever rode anywhere in civilian clothing and without a helmet, cars passed me much more closely. I felt as if I had less respect from motorists and other cyclists alike. It was freaky.

When I lived in Mpls, I commuted 20 miles each way. There is no way I would do that in jeans and a T-shirt.

Originally Posted by tjspiel
I've seen it mentioned several times that spandex wearing cyclists make other people think they have to wear spandex too.

So I'm curious. Where you commute, what percentage of adult cyclists wear spandex?

I see more during the summer but even then I'd say it's under 30%. Well under 10% are in full kit.
Away from the city or on weekends when people are out cycling for exercise or training, there's a lot more spandex but still plenty of people in shorts and T-shirts, -and just about anything else you can think of.