Old 06-26-08, 06:15 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I've seen it mentioned several times that spandex wearing cyclists make other people think they have to wear spandex too.

So I'm curious. Where you commute, what percentage of adult cyclists wear spandex?

I see more during the summer but even then I'd say it's under 30%. Well under 10% are in full kit.
Away from the city or on weekends when people are out cycling for exercise or training, there's a lot more spandex but still plenty of people in shorts and T-shirts, -and just about anything else you can think of.
Historically I've worn Mountain bike shorts to look a little more "Fred" so the stupid cagers would cut me a bit more slack. However, the problem with loose shorts (Or rather shorts with a loose outer shell) is they tend to get snagged on things. (Nose of the saddlle, frame pump, etc.) and they also tend to be both warmer and retain perspiration. So I've gone back to Lycra shorts and so far I'm much happiers.