View Single Post
Old 06-26-08, 07:29 PM
DSchlichting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
I was under the impression that this ride is intended, largely, for city people who don't own cars. That's why transportation, showers, and food become such an integral part. Of course Glenn isn't going to discriminate against people who do own cars and want to ride but, there are several smaller and less expensive rides to Montauk organized by local bike clubs that are perfectly accessible to people with cars.
I think that impression may date from the AYH/early 5BBC days when most Montauk participants did not have cars. Otherwise, what does owning a car have to do with anything? Better to use the organizer's transport and not drive.
But Glenn is not running a service; he's running a business. Whatever is his breakeven, anything sold above is pure profit. So he should maximize his volume.
I was not at this event, but the symptoms are typical: 1.) support systems do not expand to accomodate larger numbers of participants, 2.) no backup: one $15/hr driver does not show and an out of control chain of events follows, exacerbated (I'd guess) by: 3.) inadequate communications within the event staff.
When you start one of these business, you first run on a shoestring. The trick now is to recognize as you grow when to spend the money on more trucks, a skilled loading/unloading crew, etc.
A good lesson for any of us who ever have or ever will work on special events

Last edited by DSchlichting; 06-26-08 at 08:09 PM.