View Single Post
Old 10-28-04, 06:53 AM
Al.canoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd keep your fork. I'm sure the better ones of the major brands all work fine. After all, it's mostly the rider that makes the difference. The only reason I wound up with a Fox (Float 100 RLC) is that Specialized put a cheap Manitou on the bike to meet their list-price target. The rest of the bike is first class, so they went with a junk fork. I knew that, but the bike was well discounted (previous year's model) and the shop bought back the hydraulic brakes (I put my old Avid cable actuated disc's on it) and the pedals.

In trying to make that fork work, I learned that the Manitou tech folks don't know their products and aren't all that anxious to help. The damper unit I needed on warranty was out of stock for four months. Pity some guy who sent the shock to the factory to get it fixed. He's out of his brand new bike for four months.

I rode undamped that long. Not all that safe, especially on a fork with a lot of flex to boot. You never could be totally sure which way you were going next. Then they never told me you needed a special tool too install the new damper unit. They just mailed it too me with no advice (I asked for it) on how to install it. Even the closest Specialized bike shop sends the forks back to the factory. They won't touch one.

I had to modify a top tube (reversed the taper to not cut the o-ring seal) with a grinder to do it. Poor design IMO. Then after a while, the front wheel took a cant to the left. Good on right turns.

I'll never own anything made by Manatou again. I have found that the Specialized tech folks are not much better. Their main goal is to get you to go away.

That's fine as I do all my own work except wheel lacing. By the time the front fork destructed, I had several dealings with Fox on the rear shock for seals and maintenance advice. Their tech folks really know the product and they really want to help. RockShock was the same some years back. Another big plus is that you can mail order all parts you need directly from Fox and their turn around time is very short. That's important to me as I often go off for up to 6 weeks at a time to bike and I may need parts fast.

The Fox Web site has good info on repairing/maintaining their products. They told me that everything is owner replaceable except the bushings (they center the tubes) which is a factory job.

Customer support, reputation and those oversize tubes are the reason I went with Fox.

How do I like It? I can't imagine a better ride and handling than a FSR suspension with Fox air front and rear. Of course you have to consider that this is my first full suspension bike and only the third fork I've owned. Not much of a sample size.

Al