Old 06-30-08, 12:07 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ctoddrun
Used to have a keypad garage door opener outside the garage. Worked great. New house, too cheap to spend the $40 for new keypad, so now carry spare house key in the seatbag. Problem solved...
+1

I have locked myself out of the house more times than I can possibly remember. My friends have copies of my keys, but sometimes I couldn't find one of them so I'd be hanging around for awhile. I now have a keypad and use it as my primary means of entering and exiting the house.

The keypad does not change security in any meaningful way. If a garage door opener with a keypad is unsafe, so is one without one.

I don't buy that fishing around for a release cord 6 feet is a good way to break in. Better to use a crowbar on a door or break a window. Much faster, more discrete, and more reliable. Besides, seems like fishing for the lever the cord is attached to might even work better, and I'd be loathe to disable such a safety mechanism.