Old 06-30-08, 02:24 PM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great way to store a bike in a tight space.

When I was in college during the early 90s the roommate and I both had bicycles (in fact I had two... road and mountain). Storing three bikes in a dorm room creates a bit of a problem. In one corner we put three hooks into the wall and hung two bicycles by the front wheel and one in between by the back wheel... all hanging vertically. My roommate is the one who thought of it, and it saved us a ton of space. I did the same thing for one of my bikes in a future apartment. It's easy to use since you just pick up the front end and roll the bike into place... no real lifting involved.

He used the standard bicycle hanging hooks that you usually use in pairs to hang a bike upside down by the wheels... the kind that is just a huge threaded screw that curves into a hook and is coated with rubber. He just found the studs in the wall, drilled some holes, and screwed in the hooks until... setting them horizontally. Since most of the weight is supported by the wheel that sits on the floor, there really isn't a lot of weight pulling on the hooks. The Leonardo looks like it improves upon the same idea and would keep the tire marks off the wall.

We probably weren't supposed to put holes that size into the walls of our dorm room, but I'm sure we filled them in with some toothpaste at the end of the year