View Single Post
Old 06-30-08, 03:06 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by positron
hmmm, I dont know if I agree. I would guess that most places selling milk (not just biggest box stores but also safeway, giant, sav-on, cvs...lets face it, the majority of people do not shop at mom-and-pops) can turn over at least one pallet/delivery. Given my cursory read of the article and the dramatic increase in efficiency of transfer, this seems like a good solution....

I might be wrong though, but cutting the transfer of packaging from 5 trips by semi down to 2 seems like a step in the right direction... not to mention the cost of *lost* crates being passed on to the consumer.
Perhaps. Besides, the milk companies know which side of their bread is buttered, so it's probably only a matter of time and public acceptace of the new packaging. Thing is, you can take a stack of milk crates on a two wheeler or a milk hook and go anywhere with it--through regular doors, revolving doors, etc. Try that with a pallet... to say nothing of the mess when some fork lift yahoo sticks a fork through... how many gallons of milk in a row on one of those things? There's a lot of places milk gets sold that does not have a loading dock.

Someone else said it: a solution looking for a problem. Not that it won't happen with Wal Mart pushing it. And heck, if you take my point out a bit further, why not reusable glass bottles, too, eh?