Old 07-01-08, 04:02 AM
caterham

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chatbot2046
Lots of good info but it's still a bit of a mystery bike, it seems....
not really- just haven't yet pinpointed the exact year of manufacture. it's still a narrow window,however. the first faema editions were announced for 1983 and by 86 the bikes had underslung cable guides, a cast brake bridge and the chainstay bridge integrated into the btm-bkt shell. my thinking is that yours is most likely an 84 or 85 -that pump peg is a tip off. the only oddity are the decals. the paint looks to be original and imo, it's not a stretch to deduce that it is probably a late production unit with slightly different decalling specifics to the earlier samples.
btw- you can also use the components' manufacturing codes to help determine the bike's age-
http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano

What does all this point to so far?
Definitely a "real" Merckx bike and not a "Falcon" Merckx?.
without a doubt, it's the real deal-a handmade in meise, belgium eddy merckx 'faema' special edition frameset

Pump peg? Some sort of special touring edition, perhaps?.
the seatube mounted bottle meant that one had to mount their silca impero frame pump under the top tube. in the 80's there were no mini pumps or co2 tyre inflators.

I guess I'm happy as long as it's a real Merckx.
you damn well ought to be- there's folks here that would sell an organ to own that bike.

k

Last edited by caterham; 07-01-08 at 04:08 AM.