View Single Post
Old 07-01-08, 08:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
While the kgf measurement may not be accurate, it's representative of what we want. A measurement of 100kgf on the gauge will place the spoke with as much tension as if you hung a 100kg weight off the end of the spoke. Or conversely, it's pulling in on the rim as if you're hanging a 100kg weight on the hook-end of the spoke.
The Newton (N) does exactly the same thing except it's just 9.8 times the value. Kilogram-force and pound-mass come from people who are too lazy to learn the proper units. It's just one of those things that makes my teeth hurt...like not knowing the difference between a scale and a balance. One measures mass and the other you find on fish.

By the way, pound would work as a unit on the tensiometer since it is a measurement of force.

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
As for the OP's wheel, you got too eager. Easy way to build up tension evenly is to do it a little at a time and do it the exact amount on each spoke. So when I thread on the nipples, I screw it on so each one has about 1-thread exposed. Then when tightening up the spokes, I spin each spoke EXACTLY 2 turns each. Then as tension comes close to final, I tighten them 1 turn each. From then on, truing and dishing typically is done with only 1/4-turns at a time, down to 1/8th turns on the final pass.
If you do the truing and roundness while the wheel is in a relaxed state, less work has to be done later on to correct those issues. I would only turn the spokes 2 turns very early in the tensioning process and then only for 1 or 2 rounds. 2 turns takes up a lot of slack fast and you are more likely to end up with an unevenly tensioned wheel quicker.

As for dishing, I usually do that just after the spokes have started to tighten up. I then check it periodically throughout the rest of tensioning. Again, it easier to do at a more relaxed state than when the wheel is tight.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!