Old 07-02-08, 08:17 AM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Board shorts vs speedo vs cutoff jeans is more like it.

Of course, you've still got the shaving vs not debate.
I disagree. Board shorts, provided they are ones designed for swimming, are for that purpose, with the mesh, etc. Cutoff jeans might work for wading, but they are not designed for swimming. People are coming here and trashing individuals for having the audacity to suggest using cycling specific clothing for cycling. Now, I only ride 8 miles to work, but I'd say that's just about like swimming what, 1/2 a mile, or so. If you were making a commitment to swim 1/2 a mile every morning, and then again every night, and you wanted to be as comfortable as possible, do you really think cutoff jeans would accomplish that? If so, then that's fine. I would tend to think that if one were going to make that kind of commitment to something, they might want to make the same commitment to the clothing as well.

I've had many people come to me and say "I rode my bike x miles yesterday, but my butt is so sore today, what can I do?" My answer is "Get bike shorts, don't worry about what people say or think, you're riding for you, so be comfortable" I point them to performancebike so they don't go to a local shop and get sticker shock. I've had those same people come back and tell me how much more they enjoyed the ride with the right clothing.

Joe