Old 07-03-08, 08:16 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dephile
Wow, I don’t think I was prepared for that. I'm seeing a trip to the book store in my future. I don’t mind the idea of stripping down the bike to grease bearings but I’m a little concerned about getting it back together properly. I guess some trail and error will be needed on the old mtb.
With a new bike I imaging you get a free tune up after it gets a little broken in. After that you won't need any major services for quite a while (as long as you don't U-Boat it). When you need to do maintenance is really going to be governed by how many miles you ride and conditions. A bike like yours used on mostly pavement is not going to need a lot. Just plan on cleaning the chain when it gets crusty and wiggling the rims and cranks to see if you feel the bearings getting loose. A full on mountain bike that gets run through the crud regularly is going to need more frequent attention. Its getting dunked. Its mud all over it and in it. If you find slop in the serviceable bearings then its time to inspect them to see if the grease has dried out. If it has then full tear down clean and assembly with fresh high quality grease is needed.

There is some really good info in the maintenance section. Pick a part to service on the old bike and have at it. Start with the front wheel bearings. That needs minimal tools. Just be careful when you pull it apart. If it is older it may have loose bearings. Make sure when you pull it apart that you do so over something that will not let the bearing escape. Old cooking sheet with a lip around it is good. Tools you will need is the flat wrenches and a telescopic magnet to fish the bearing out. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=360-362.

Here is a exploded of the typical front hubs that don't have sealed bearings.
http://www.neinlives.com.au/Exploded/FrontHubs.gif

The rear cassette style non sealed is actually very similar on the bearing set up. Same parts but it passes through the free hub. Sheldon's site has good info on the freehub itself and how to remove it. Most are not serviceable so if you ever have a problem its just a mater of replacing it.

Only take the jam-nut and bearing cone loose on one side. The other side doesn't need to come off the axle. If it is left on it also keeps the spacing correct to fit in the frame.

Depending on the rim you may need to pop the dust overs out. You need to find something with a T head that can fit down in the hole and then catch the inner lip. Then use the axle from the other side to push it out.

Putting it back together is just the reverse.

the grease will hold the bearings in place when you reassemble it. Always put the side that still has the bearing cone on the axle first. Drop it through and then hold it in place till you flip over the wheel to do the other side so you don't drop the bearings out.

When you get both side in setting the preload is trial and error. It should spin free but have no play. If it is too tight it will feel lumpy when you spin the axle with your fingers. The only drag you should feel is from the grease.

That is the major service on the bearings. Really sounds harder then it is. The rest os just fine adjustment of the brakes and derailleurs. I did both wheels, Bottom bracket and the fine turn on my bike in about 3 hours. Probably wont need anything else other then wheel truing for 6-12 months unless I break a cable or something unforeseen gives up.