View Single Post
Old 07-07-08, 02:02 AM
ekincam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short green light

What can I do about a short green light? I need to cross 10 lanes of traffic, 3 straight, 1 right, and 1 left turn lane in each direction, east and west, on a regular basis. It took me a couple days, but I finally figured out how to trigger the light so I don't have to run it any more, but that doesn't help me much because the light is so short.

The lane numbers below start with lane 1 as the first one I cross and 10 being the last.

The light is yellow by the time I pass the first or second lane and generally red by the time I'm at lane 9 or 10. I've only once managed to blast through it and was just passing lane 10 to the other side as the light turned red. If I stop behind even one car rather than pass it to go to the front, I'm screwed. I have noticed that the light is marginally longer when there are 2 cars lined up, but about 85% of time, it's just me, maybe 10% of the time, there's one car, and there is seldom more than 2 cars.

There really isn't any way around this street to get to where I need to go.

I guess I could go back to cautiously running the red light since traffic comes in waves and there aren't cars waiting like when I get my green, but there's gotta be a better solution.