View Single Post
Old 07-07-08, 06:51 AM
mlofton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYJayhawk
It all depends on how the question is asked, IMHO. Some people have no interest in cycling and are just nosy. To them, I'll say that a decent road bike costs between $1000-$3000, but that you can literally spend $10k-$20k if you REALLY want to burn some cash.

On the other hand, if somebody is interested in the sport, or just wanting to get started, I don't mind telling them what I paid for my bike, but also mentioning that if they can part with $1000, they'll be able to get a perfectly good bike that will give them years of service. They can decide to upgrade later...or not.

Some people just lack diplomacy when asking questions.
Very good points.

I'm a freelance photographer and i get questions about my gear all the time when I'm at sporting events. Most of the time I just say "a lot" or "a small car" when asked how much my stuff cost. But it also depends on the person that's asking. If they seem really interested in photography, I'll open up a bit more to them.

What i don't like, is when someone asks how much i've spent in tattoos. I don't know why, but it really bothers me. Maybe because:
A. I can't remember
B. i don't want to know