Old 07-08-08, 06:24 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Dogs easily overheat and can die. They only sweat through the mouth and the paws.

I have heard of hunting dogs who died from their own enthusiasm in the fields and the stupidity of the owners who didn't make sure their dog had enough water and rest.

I've heard of goldens who played fetch until they collapsed and died.

I'd scare those people to death with examples of dogs worked too hard.

The bike thing really* makes me mad. I have a "springer" on a bike, but I never* go faster than a slow trot. How slow that trot is depends on the dog. My husky mix had a pretty fast "slow" trot. But I know experienced dog people who do the stupidest things with bikes.

First off, dogs don't do a sustained run. They run, stop, run stop. Or they have a certain pace which is like a fast walk but many breeds can do it all day. But not all breeds. My berners were just not made for any distance whatsoever. I got my springer for my husky and I'll use it again for my springer spaniel.

Secondly, dogs are not made for pavement. It rips their pads up. Dirt roads, or a situation where the dog can run on the meridian of grass is best.

Thirdly, people don't condition their dogs. Of course injuries are going to occur.

Fourth... the dog should be able to indicate it has to stop and pee/poop, which it will certainly need to do during prolonged exercise. I have a friend who does not allow her dogs to eliminate while on a walk or on a bike, and I think that's insane. How would you like to be made to run when you had to poop?

Also, dogs should be in a harness, not a collar. Dog necks are remarkably easy to damage by sideways yanks, even though they seem so sturdy.

I saw people jogging in 90 degree sun with a puppy about 4 months old and I stopped and told them they were going to kill the puppy. You're not supposed to do any* exercise like that with a dog whose plates aren't closed yet. They were setting that dog up for years of joint pain. And then there's the heat, the pace, the distance....it was totally cruel.

Slow trot. Let the dog stop when he wants to. Give a little* water all the time. Seek shade and soft surfaces. Don't let the dog charge in the beginning...teach him to start out slow and warm up. Dog should ride on the right side of the bike. Condition the dog slowly. Check the dog's pads after every ride for pad wear and tears. Check the dogs gums during the ride to make sure they're not too light or dark.
Great information. solveg, can you explain more about the color of the gums? I never heard about that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep an eye out for these people, they may have just started to go to another location. If they have not stopped, report them now. Some humans do very well in the heat and don't realize how different it can be for others.