Old 07-08-08, 10:39 PM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, at 15% deflection, some tires feel more supple than others. Continental tires tend to feel less supple than most until you get to about 20% deflection. Vittoria makes some tires that feel supple at 10
% deflection.

But, at 140 PSI, NO tire feels "supple", unless you weigh over 250 pounds, because the sidewalls have ZERO deflection...they are functioning as blocks of wood under the weight of a 160 pound rider.

If a 160 pound guy rides at 140 PSI, any tire is gonna feel like riding on wooden tires. If a tire is over-inflated and has ZERO deflection of the side walls, it feels absolutely identical to every other tire that has ZERO deflection...it feels like every bump is going directly to your hands and to your rear.

To get a tire's best shock absorption and feel, the sidewalls must sag (slightly) and flex under the rider's weight and in reaction to pavement conditions. For very light riders (110 pounds or 120 pounds) it can be necessary to ride at 70 PSI or 75 PSI to get the amount of sidewall flexing that a 180 pound rider obtains at 120 PSI.

An interesting experiment for 180 pound guys who ride at 120 PSI is to ride for a week with the front tires at 95 PSI and the back tires at 100 PSI. The first day, they think "my tires feel heavy...my bike feels slow". After a week at 100 PSI, they go back to 120 PSI. Then they think "Who tore up the concrete on these streets...I'm getting beaten to death out here".