Old 07-09-08, 03:42 AM
owlmaster08

Bikes: Dahon Mariner 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanis
Owlmaster08, I have to weigh in as well, because I'm not confident you understand the risks and consequences of riding on the sidewalk. I don't know your location, but in New York State, and I would assume most states in the USA, riding on sidewalks is illegal and dangerous to pedestrians. It subjects you to ticketing, fines, and worse. It also gives cyclists a very bad name, as it makes us look like a bunch of scofflaws. Don't do it!

You are legally required to ride on the road with traffic and to follow all rules of the road (e.g., don't blow through red lights and don't ride the wrong way on a one-way street). Stay to the right of the road unless there is an official bike lane elsewhere (say, on the left). You're not in much danger of being rear-ended--the far bigger risk is being "doored" by someone exiting a parked car or being cut off by a car making a turn across your path. The key is to make yourself visible. Wear reflective clothing and make sure your bike has front and rear lights as well as a bell.

Also, remember, the more cyclists on the road, the safer cycling becomes for everyone. As others have said, read the bike commuting threads for lots of strategies and good, solid advice. You'll get comfortable with riding in the road quickly enough, I promise.

Sorry for the lecture, but this is serious stuff...
I have cops drive by me all the time, none of them stop. I don't think it's an issue here in Goose Creek, SC. I think they'd rather have me on the side walk to stay out of their way. I prefer the road, but don't want to die! haha. I keep a look out for the few, very few, pedestrians I see, and when I see them I go in the road when possible. If it's rush hour and traffic is too thick I'll ride in the grass until I pass them, in these situations sometime they step into the grass before I even do. There are no parked cars along this street, so I'm not worried about that. I wish I could explain the street better. Maybe the best explanation is I'm surprised they built a sidewalk along it, because it is not even used by anyone, really.

To keep you guys from worrying so much, I'm going to start riding in the street more. I hate riding on the sidewalk due to all the bumps and stuff. I leave really earlier in the morning before it gets light though, and am still waiting on my reflexive vest w/ built in LEDs (claimed to be visible from a mile way) to arrive Friday. I do have a bike light set, reflectors, and I am wearing a reflexive arm band right now.

I may eschew dogma snafu Thanks.