View Single Post
Old 07-09-08, 10:28 AM
jkanaris

Bikes: 2007 TCR Alliance T-Mobile Edition Team Bicycle; 2006 Norco Malahat Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Apus^2
His advice is....ridiculous. Really you only need a double if you are in flat lands. A triple is nice in the mountains, but you may be looked down upon, until you spin up the mountain. The triple actually gives you bigger gears 52x39(or 42)x30 than a compact 50x34. Triples are also heavier. A compact takes a little bit of each.

Generally, *Generally*, your body is more efficient at higher cadences in the 85-95 rpm area. I weigh 180 lbs and can out climb a lot of people 20-30 lbs lighter than me on my team WHEN I have my triple (unfortunately, that bike is temporarily out of commission). Why? Because if my cadence drops below 75 I really start to hurt. I easily spin at 95 and can go long periods at 120+.

The negative side about a compact is on the high end. You only have a 50 tooth chainring rather than a 52 or 53. That can take away top end speed on a decent (pretty much the only place--few people at our ability can efficiently sprint on the 52x11), but really if you aren't racing, that doesn't matter.

Triples are also more finicky on shifting and shifting adjustment.

I can't even understand his rational. If he really knew what he was talking about, he would suggest getting a new cassette (heck of a lot cheaper--the dent in your wallet is a lot deeper to switch to a triple) is the way to go--something with a 28 tooth (just make sure your rear derailleur can handle it).

Define serious cyclist? Pros? Rarely do they have a triple. Amateur racers? Same thing. Look at most high end bikes at your lbs--few triples.

My advice? Ride more, pedal harder, leave him behind at the next sprint and tell him he may need a triple.

To clear things up, I still do love my triple. Nothing wrong with it.

Ignore your friend's "advice".
Thanks Apus. That sounds very common sensical to me! Good advice too on getting a 52/3 tooth ring. Even on my 50 I rarely turn the smallest rear ring--except downhill

Last edited by jkanaris; 07-09-08 at 10:32 AM.