Old 07-10-08, 04:55 AM
cycotourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jchabalk
i've been spending a lot of time looking for frames with a touring geometry and touring options (braze-ons for racks etc) and disc tabs and am just not having really great luck. It looks like the mainstream manufacturers are flirting with the idea right now and the more specialized (not the company ) makers are there. I guess this is always the way it is - and not just with bikes.

In 3 years or so it'll probably be impossible to buy a new frame/fork without disc tabs and people will be talking about grinding them off and brazing on what will be called "traditional" brake bosses to use cantis and v's.

gotta love it
Please update if you find a good touring bike with disc tabs. I was going to get an LHT until I discovered I couldn't have disc brakes. Then I decided to get a Big Dummy which can have disc brakes, but they don't make a small enough frame. Surly says they have no plans for a smaller Big Dummy frame, and no plans for discs on the LHT! So I guess I have ruled out Surly all together! My LBS recommended getting the LHT frame and Xtracycle (takes discs) and swapping the fork for one with disc tabs .... but I don't like the idea of swapping the fork, thought it might put the "feel" out of kilter??

I am actually now seriously considering a recumbent (for a number of reasons) as many touring recumbents have disc brakes.