Old 07-10-08, 05:09 PM
cycotourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=vik;7034465]
I also have a Big Dummy with disc brakes as well as a LHT. I can see the advantage to discs if you are doing lots of dirt road/offroad touring - especially if it will be wet. My Big Dummy gets around the stiff straight fork needed for discs with wide heavy larger volume tires and a very long wheelbase which absorbs bumps/vibration nicely. If you were running the same fork on a more typical touring bike with say 30-35mm tires and a normal wheelbase the ride wouldn't be so nice." end quote.

Vic, thats the problem ... with world touring, especially in countries with unsealed roads, we are bound to run into some very bad weather and very bad touring conditions. We are also going to experience some extreme descents. That is why I wanted a disc braked, "rohloffed" Big Dummy (which Surly doesn't make in a small enough size). If I do go DF I still want the Xtracycle, rohloff and discs.

I'm not so concerned about cost, this will be my only vehicle, and I want it to be safe, comfortable and sturdy for 2 to 5 +, non stop, years of touring. I am also not concerned about speed, I want to take a few years and enjoy the ride!

So Vik, if I Xtracycled an LHT frame and used a more upright fork for discs, would I get a Big Dummy ride?

Sorry hope the OP finds this discussion of some benefit too???