View Single Post
Old 11-01-04, 08:34 AM
PaperBoy
Volvo (Latin: I roll)

Bikes: Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Navigator and a vintage Brittany Free Spirit for the wife

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Trek Navigator 100. Thought I wanted a mountain bike, but bought this instead. Good starter bike.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Multi-vitamin with a B-complex/zinc supplement. Will occasionally try something herbal or another supplement like alpha lipoic acid and L-carnetine just to see if they work (I've never noticed any difference).

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I'm in better shape now than I've been since I was eighteen. I'm also LOTS heavier than I was when I was eighteen (buns of steel!) so I suppose that's a wash. Bikewise, I'm light years ahead of where I was when I began riding again 18 months ago.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Lived on bike while growing up. Had two paper routes (morning and evening) until I was 16. Then took a 35-year hiatus. Got back on a bike 18 months ago.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

Rec rides 10-15 miles long and gradually getting longer. Errands to the store, bank, etc 2-3 miles round trip if I go the long away around. With a rear rack and a repurposed wire in-basket I can carry home an amazing amount of groceries.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Rec rides about once a week with 2-3 errands a week. No idea how many miles.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Canoeing and kayaking. I also walk to work (2 blocks) and home for lunch. Lots of walking through out the day while at work (upstairs office, downstairs coffee pot). I also get a good workout doing yardwork once a week.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
52 in December.