View Single Post
Old 07-11-08, 09:57 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Go to a reputable high-end bike shop and get a professional bike fit from trained fitter. Armed with that information, you can start narrowing down your selection in your price range with appropriate geometries. I find that effective top tube is the crucial measurement. Then find nearest dealers, make phone calls, go for test rides. A close fit can be fixed with a different stem.

Drive or fly somewhere with a testable selection, and work with the shop to have them bring in test bikes. It's worth it.

I'm 5'2", ride a women's specific 48cm Wylder w/700c wheels (they're out of business, wish they hadn't folded). I test rode the size smaller which had 650c wheels, and didn't like the handling. I also ride a 17" Trek 520 (not WSD), with a 60mm aftermarket stem. My 5'2" identical twin sister rides a men's Orbea Orca, and used to ride a Cannondale Caad 5.

We both have toe-overlap, but you can live with that. Narrow bars and shorter cranks are important, and saddles are person-specific, so no matter what expect to replace the stock saddle.

Good luck with the search - be patient.