View Single Post
Old 07-12-08, 11:42 AM
JeffC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, been swamped this week with various things. Thanks for all the feedback.

To CCrew: yes this was vetted with my wife, she does not like the stock saddle either and has only tried the Brooks on my bike for a short ride but liked it.

To Wahoonc: agreed that for shorter rides most riders would be fine on just about any saddle. Good to know you cannot tell a difference between the regular and “S” version. If the main functional difference is to prevent skirt snags, I’ll just go with a regular since I cannot see my wife riding in a skirt.

To cooker: I’m too lazy for two seat posts

To martianone: the Freedom is ok for short distances and utility stuff. Pros are that it is pretty comfy (once I get the saddle replaced will be even better), has a chain guard, can easily fit those grocery getter panniers on each side (or whatever they are called, they fit a paper grocery sack on each side), solid, durable custom metal fenders, can replace rear cog for different gearing. Cons are that it is very slow, like a Volvo tank if they were to make one. Also, I’m about 185 lbs and broke at least 5 rear spokes so that Breezer (through my dealer) rebuilt the rear wheel under warranty, it has been fine now. There is something about the IG hubs that makes them seem less efficient than non-hub bikes too, it just seems like it takes more effort.

I ride it with business clothes to the subway (1.5 miles each way) and to the grocery store mainly (about 5 miles each way), iand t’s great in those roles. Last year I used it a lot for my 11 mile each way commute to downtown DC. That was a bit out of its role and I dreaded mashing my way up some hills in only three speeds on the way home. If you are in a flat area, 3 speeds is fine. But if you at all regularly go up hills I’d really consider getting the 7 or 8 speed version. I guess the silver lining was that I got another bike more suited to a longer commute in biking clothes and kept the Breezer for utility/short commutes in business clothes.

I think you do not need a sprung saddle on the Freedom, it just comes with one, probably to smooth out the ride a bit. I’ve called Breezer about a few things, they are very good about responding to you so I’d do that if you have more questions.