operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Underbridge
Looking to spend about $150 (give or take) for a light. I need to be able *to see*, not just *be seen*, because the suburb I live in doesn't have any streetlights. I'm riding roads and paved MUP, with a 30 minute one-way commute. As a result, runtime isn't crucial. Neither's weight, since my commuter bike is a total pig. I currently have a Cateye 530, which isn't nearly enough.

From what I've read so far, it *seems* as if the halogens absolutely kill the LED lights in that price range, and even those up to $100 more expensive. For instance, on http://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493 the L&M Solo (halogen) blows the more expensive L&M Vega (LED) out of the water. On the other hand, people rave about LED lights like the Dinotte, Fenix, etc. So I'm a bit confused.

Is there a downside to halogens I'm missing? Or are halogens just the best performer for my price range?

Thanks for any advice.
Ironically a street without streetlights requires less likght than one that does.

Halogen is very cost effective, which you pay for in battery weight and runtime.