View Single Post
Old 07-14-08, 07:06 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OT - How cities populations have changed

As a 50+'er, I find it difficult to keep up on what cities are now larger than others.

I remember memorizing the 20 largest cities from the 1960 census. It included such entries as:
5) Detroit
6) Baltimore
8) Cleveland
10) St. Louis
11) Milwaukee
16) Pittsburgh

Today I read that Pittsburgh is now #59, just behind Aurora, CO. Of course it has a much large metro area, but the city proper is now not in the top 50.

Milwaukee is now #22. Baltimore has slipped to #18. Detroit is #11. Cleveland is #39. St. Louis is out of the top 50.

Now San Diego is 8th, San Jose is 10th, Indianapolis is 12th, Jacksonville is 13th. Heck, Ft. Worth is 19th and El Paso is 21st. Las Vegas, which used to be a small city is now #29 and is larger than Atlanta, Cleveland, and Minneapolis. Albuquerque is 33rd. And Fresno is 36th.

I still think of many of the older cities as being large cities. I'm not sure I can reprogram my mind to keep track of these population shifts.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post