Old 07-15-08, 05:00 PM
rubber2405
Rubber

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper (2003 model); GT Avalanche 1.0 (2005 model); Claud Butler Magna (1995 model!! From when the CBs were handbuilt in Brigg, England!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downtube VIIIFS & a bit about me (a newbie)

Hello all.
I'm new to the forum. I live in the UK, in a place called Yorkshire. I work, I'm married and I have 2 boys.
I've joined to receive and share any advice, places to ride, travel advice re: use of bikes or travelling with bikes etc, etc.
I currently have a few MTBs, which I am looking to downsize to one MTB. Not done much MTBing this year, but have done a fair bit in recent years. All in the UK.
I have just purchased a Downtube VIIIFS folder, which I expect to be delivered tommorrow.
I did a load of research on folders and looked at the Dahons, Bromptons, Ridegback and the Downtube brands.
After reading quite a few reviews I decided to take a leap of faith and bought the DT. Yan the owner, seems to have his Customer Relationship Management sorted out, judging by the posts to forums he makes and also the fact that his bikes are all projects that are evolving, in line with what his customers say they want. You don't get many companies in the UK like that (if any!!), so this is refreshing to see and also swayed me towards taking that leap of faith.
I am like a kid awaiting a new toy at the mo, so I'll let you al know what it's like when i get it.
I live in the UK and petrol prices are extortionate to say the least. Car insurance isn't cheap and road tax is increasing by 100% for most cars (inc mine) in the next 12 months, so I am having to look at alternatives to my car. I am set to change my job, so i will have a 36 mile round trip to commute 7 days a week ( i work shifts) and I work some half nights with a 2 am finish.
On the lates I am gonna be goosed and will have to use my car, but on earlies, British very foul weather permitting, I am planning to cycle and use public transport as a combination. Hence the purchase of a folder.
Anyway. I'll stop boring you now. If anyone can suggest kit upgrades on the DT, who has experience of riding one regularly, I would be interested to know. If anyone thinks it should be left as it is, then I'd like to know that too.
I look forward to "meeting" you all.