View Single Post
Old 07-16-08, 10:12 AM
wiggles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was from the local District Attorney when I was getting my B.A. in Criminal Justice, he was one of our professors. We were asking about frivolous lawsuits and someone in the class cited how McDonald's got sued for a "stupid woman dropping hot coffee on herself."

Turns out they had been warned numerous time by government agencies because they kept their coffee at nigh boiling temperatures without warnings, serving it to people who expected to be able to drink it immediately. The woman herself had coffee hot enough to cause second and third degree burns to her thighs, lower abdomen, and genitals. This was coffee which was supposedly safe to drink. Her award would have been small except the attorney involved showed that there was a pattern of negligence on McDonald's part in continuing this practice. So, the multimillion settlement was awarded - almost all punitive. That got McDonalds to change their policies.

Thats not conjured, thats fact. Feel free to contact District Attorney John P. Morganelli of Northampton County Pennsylvania if you'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth, or any other prosecutor - heck, even wikipedia has a good article, just look up Liebeck v. Mcdonalds. However, I doubt you will, because its easier to sling accusations that I'm coming up with stuff than to actually take time to verify it.

ANYWAYS, my point was that if they're selling a product which is perceived as safe for immediate use which has caused numerous injuries, the courts have shown a tendency to award punitive damages. From my experience, and what I've seen, a LOT of people have gotten injured by "ready to ride" walmart bikes.

Last edited by wiggles; 07-16-08 at 10:21 AM.