View Single Post
Old 07-17-08, 10:25 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jkemp9
Ok, two days before the tour de corn. I'm wondering about hydration the day/night before the ride. My high school soccer coach told me to drink a gallon of grape juice a day before games, which I usually tried to do. Has anyone ever heard of this? I think i'll do the grape juice thing and try to get down a gallon of water today and tomorrow. Does that sound about right? I'm not worried about finishing the 62 miles, I know for sure I can do that. I want to ride hard and avoid cramping. First 120 riders get free socks, it'd be nice to be in that group, probably wishful thinking though...

Does your HS coach own Eli Lilly stock? That's the only reason I can think of why he's trying to make everyone on his team diabetic. A gallon of grape juice is more than you should drink in a week, much less in a day.

At 200 miles/week, you'll have no problem pushing it for 62 miles to stay competitive in this ride. Keep hydrated, and pay attention to your electrolytes. I'd say drop a tablet of NUUN in your water bottles or pop a few Endurolyte caplets at the start, and you'll be fine.
If you don't usually drink a gallon of water a day, then don't push it like that for 2-3 days before your event. You risk hyponatremia (over-hydration water toxicity) and really hurting yourself.

A good daily recommendation for hydration is 1 - 1.25oz per kilo of body weight (on resting days. More when you're training.)