Old 07-17-08, 03:25 PM
hos13

Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hocker
If VV ends up in the top three, how much does his efforts do to erase the stain landis has put on cycling in the U.S.? I'm not talking about in the eyes of cyclists, who are going to be fans no matter what, I am talking about your average sports fan that pays attention once a year. During the Armstrong years cycling was pretty huge, and definetely a topic around water coolers. Also, VV has been tested extensively according GarChip's doping program.
I'm not sure most non-cyclists in the U.S. are even aware of Floyd Landis to this day. U.S. Postal did a job propagating Lance/cycling to the U.S. general public since just about everyone in the U.S. interfaces with the postal service. But a American rider riding for foreign team in a foreign sport, might as well a foreigner to the American general public.

I hope VV does well, but I doubt it anyone will notice that isn't following the Tour already. Most NFL training camps open as the Tour comes to an end and that is where all attention will be, by both sports fan and media.