Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
+1
Filament bulbs don't care if you feed then AC or DC current.
OK, this is mildly comical because, despite the fact that I don't know much about electricity, I thought this was the case. When the first person I asked at work told me I needed a rectifier, I tried to explain that I didn't (on the grounds that a resistance element doesn't 'care' which way the electrons are flowing). When the second person told me, I figured I must have been wrong. Nevertheless, it was easier to give in and fun to learn how to make one and how it works.

I'm not necessarily trying to make the halogens work. When I bought the hub I naively thought 6V hub + 6V lamps = I'm set. I have since realized that LEDs are probably the way to go. BUT, if I still wanted to put a battery in the loop (even if I don't need it -- remember, I'm also experimenting), would a 6V Lead Acid battery work (basically this: http://www.amazon.com/SIGMA-EVO-Halo...6559&sr=1-22)? Or should I go with the 4.8V of NiMH like n4zou shows. Does it matter if maybe, someday, I want to stick a USB connector on there (primarily for charging a cell phone**)?

Thanks all for the advice and links. I'll start digging through stuff before it gets dark.

**in case your battery is running low when you're in the middle of France and it's getting dark and you need to call your wife to figure out when and where the nearest train is. Not that that would happen to me. No sirree. I'm far too well prepared...

Last edited by Pedaleur; 07-19-08 at 01:47 PM.