BOFH

Bikes: Many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Dirt Hill
Layers...lots of layers.

In a nutshell, I wear a cycling specific base layer of the wicking variety. I then put on a layer or two of something warm that you would wear outside when it's very cold. I then top it off with an outer layer or two, which usually includes a wind proof shell.

For hands, I wear these awful looking army surplus mittens over wool gloves. I cover my head with multiple balaclava type things. I typically don't wear a helmet when it's below 0F, in lieu of lots of warm coverings and ski goggles.

It doesn't hurt that my winter commute is only about six miles long. Thankfully, we only get the -40F type weather for a short period of time - and it's only in the mornings. Usually it warms up to -10F or so by the time I'm riding home.
$0.02 from another cold-weather cyclist: I often have problems with balaclavas due to ice forming around the mouth from the water vapor in my breath. Adhesive moleskin patches or petroleum jelly over the bare parts of the face (mainly cheeks, and especially the nose) are a good alternative to prevent frostbite in temps this low.