View Single Post
Old 07-26-08, 02:03 PM
Hot Potato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
Well I was surprised yesterday when my Slipstreamz spoilers came in the mail so soon. I had already relaced my helmet straps per the instructions so I just attached the spoilers and took a test ride.

I did notice a difference and would rate them a 3.5 to 4 out of 5, based on a combination of effectiveness, cost, light weight, and simple unabtrusive design. I rode into about a 10-15 mph wind for a while and noticed a lesser amount of wind noise and mainly a lack of the buffeting in the ear canal. Both into and with the wind I noticed I could hear more from behind me like tire and drive train noise on the bike.

As mentioned I redid my helmet straps to get the desired twist into the section that the clip attaches to. A word of caution if you try it - look at how the strap goes through the back of your helmet first. I have a Specialized and there is a very tight passage for the strap in the back that took me a long time and a few choice words before I could thread the darn thing back through.

Until I saw these I was planning on getting the Slipstreamz ear covers with the headphone cavity but I think these will be sufficient and cooler in the summer. I can still use my clip type head phones with these if I want.
Badger -

I am not only resurrecting this old thread, but travelling in your footsteps. I saw the slipstreamz spoilers for 9 bucks delivered, and figured I should try it.

You might be interested to know that the instructions tell you to take a digital photo of the straps in your helmet before you disassemble. They must have read your post. Fortunately, my helmet straps have the proper orientation to avoid disassembly.

I have been unable to ride for two weeks, and got really bored. I found an old box fan, turned it up high, sat in front of it, and put the helmet on. Did the finger trick - lots less wind noise. Since I don't have the slipstreamz spoilers yet, I just turned the straps like you would if you had the spoilers on. And the noise was reduced! But not as much as when I used my finger. So, do you think the spoiler adds greatly to the effectiveness, or is it really just the strap being perpendicular to your skin that does the work? If its just a strap thing, perhaps others can be saved the 9 buck trial.