View Single Post
Old 07-27-08, 01:51 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,097 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Flourescent lighting fixtures (single/double shop lites, 4 or 8 footers) hung from or mounted on the celing are best. Halogen work lights are too harsh and very spotty. I don't like them for bike work.
Same here. I have two 2' fluorescent double tube fixtures hung from chains from my garage ceiling and they give plenty of even, non-glare light. If your garage is big or has a high ceiling, perhaps 4' double tube units would be better.

I agree that halogens are too hot and too much like spotlights to be of much use. Also fluorescents consume much less power. A 2' tube is only 20 watts and a 4' is 40 watts so you will probably need only 80 to 160 total watts which is way under what the halogens would consume. Finally, double fluorescents units are much cheaper to buy than halogen lights too.

A good flashlight (I like the 1W or 3W LED-type) is a handy supplement for looking into tight places and the interior of tubes, etc. but the overhead lights will be plenty for almost everything you do.