View Single Post
Old 07-27-08, 03:54 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cooleric1234
I'm fairly new to cycling and I bought an entry level road bike about a year ago. I finally got around to weighing it and it came in at 25 pounds. That was with everything on it (saddle bag with C02 cartridge, spare tube, multi-tool, computer, etc.). And it was with a regular home bathroom scale, so there's obviously a margin of error.
Don't weigh a bike with all that crap on it. Bike should be "ready to ride" e.g. has pedals, but without water, saddle bag, etc. What is the point in including water weight? It makes for a more consistent comparison if you exclude all of that stuff.

Originally Posted by cooleric1234
I'm just wondering how that compares for entry level bikes. One thing to consider is that it's a traditional frame (not compact) and it's the largest size available (64 cm center to top). For the moment I'll avoid mentioning what bike it is, I'd just like to know how that compares to other entry level bikes of that size. Some bike manufacturers post weights, but it rarely lists which frame it corresponds to and if it does it's one of the middle sized frames. Any idea of how much the weight varies for larger sized frames? Thanks.
They are usually small or medium-small frames (e.g. 52), without pedals. Most entry level bikes will be more than 20 pounds. How much more? :shrug:

Originally Posted by Hickeydog
That's fine. Now stop worrying about the weight and ride it.
+1

Last edited by umd; 07-27-08 at 03:58 PM.